Sunday, September 5, 2010

Goodbye Gus

After a million reasons why I should have kept him and a million reasons why he needed to go, I took Gus halfway across the state yesterday to meet his new family (we both traveled halfway). They are a really nice couple with a Standard Schnauzer a lot like Gus in personality.
They will give him so much more time and attention than I could here with all the other dogs, kids, etc...but I still cried.
I hate that I couldn't explain to Gus that it wasn't his fault...that he wasn't getting shoved off again because of anything he did wrong. He was totally devotedly in love with us, all of us, and there is not doubt he would have given his life to protect us.
Those adoring eyes looking up at me will be etched in my memory forever.
That's what makes the goodbye so hard. I put human feelings onto dogs I know...but I can't help but believe he doesn't wonder why we sent him off...those big pleading eyes looking for us to come in the door at any minute and take him back to our farm.

Here's Dessa and Gus before we hit the road.


Gus enjoying the wind in his face.


Tayla came along and was the best traveling companion.
She never complained once about the 7hr drive.

I later moved him Gus up front (after he chewed up something in the back) and he laid with his head on Tayla's lap for quite awhile, making her giggle--then came up to stand next to me and snuffle my face a little. He finally laid down at Tayla's feet and slept.
Tayla sent along her Scooby shirt that she wore all day on Friday (getting everyone's smell here at the farm on it) and then she slept in it and then I tucked it next to me on the drive to meet his adopters.
They emailed me today that he was doing well though a little needy. They said he seemed to be looking for us--whining at the door then going outside to look around as if we might be out there.
He slept with Tayla's shirt.
And when I read their email I cried all the more.
We miss you Gus!



3 comments:

  1. And your post also made me cry Tabitha! I can imagine how you feel right now.
    But isn't it a reassurance to know for sure that he's in good hands, and that those friendly adopters will keep you informed about him.
    He must have had a wonderful time at your place and I'm sure he will remember this for always. He had the luck to encounter YOU.
    Maybe one day you'll see him again!
    I wish you much strength.
    Hugs for you and Gus!
    xoxox

    PS: keep us informed how he's doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you will always be a smile Gus' grateful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tabitha, we haven't heard from you in over a week. I'm believing this has been a hard week for you in that Gus is in his new home, having left a great big empty place in yours. Please write to let us all know that you're alright. We miss you.

    ReplyDelete