Sunday, August 8, 2010

Is 7 still lucky if we're talking cats?

The local Humane Society is SWAMPED with cats....and they were either going to be forced to put a bunch down...or....we were going to have to take some in.
I'm not much of a cat person...I mean...cats can be nice, I know...but I'm just more into dogs.  We have a couple really nice farm cats here...but a couple is a nice number......7 on the other hand....that's a lot of cats!

Soooooooooo....if you like cats, PLEASE help!!!
They have a lot more cats still at the shelter...plus I am getting a few more cats next week...yes, I said it--MORE cats!!!!
They are destined to a farm cat life here and I know they would much rather be warm in someone's arms and home this winter...so if you or if you know anyone....please pass along the word!
Or...if you need farm cats....some of them might rather take well to the life...and as long as you are providing them with good shelter from the weather and food and water and love...they could help you keep away vermin in exchange for a mere $55.
$55 is dirt cheap people!
Spayed/neutered and up to date on shots---saves you hundreds and no Tom cat worries or deluge of kittens (which are cute...but become a problem when they succumb to disease or multiply and multiply and start inbreeding and then all the sudden you have mutant kittens--not so cute).


So...let me give you some general introductions (they came with names).
Keep in mind these cats were hauled around in tiny crates then set free in a back room in a barn--they may not be at their peak photogenic ability...but I will update as I get to know them more and get better shots.



This is Pattches (yes, with 2 t's and she's actually Pattches 2).
As you can see is she is very friendly.  She came out of her crate calmly and was ready for some pets.

A nice calico short hair.



Meet Felix.
I think he's named perfectly.  He just looks like a Felix.  He seems completely comfortable with who he is-no identity crisis cat here.  He exudes contentment.
He is evidently a Maine Coon which I looked up and is an affectionate and intelligent breed.
I agree--he was out of the "cat room" this morning and waiting for me when I went to check on the crew.
He's such a cool boy I'm surprised he wasn't adopted.
Long hair does not fare well in the country...so I hope he finds a home soon!



This is Stripes.
He's a very nice mellow boy.




Meet Tigger (aka grumpy butt).
He was the most unhappy of the campers as you can see.
I told him that kind of face wasn't very adoptable...but he didn't seem to care.
I hope to get better pictures after he settles in....perhaps he is one of those farm cat types?



This is Henry.  Kind of a scowl here...but not grumpy like Stripes.
Henry is also a Maine Coon.  He was the first out of the kennels and I said to myself, "Oh Henry".  He just looked big and furry and I thought...oh what did we get ourselves into.

Here is a nicer picture of him.



Meet Pyro.  (I don't know if there is some back story with his naming and fires...let's pretend he saved his family from a burning building and then they were separated mysteriously and he has pined for a home of his own since..a silent hero in waiting...makes a better story that way, eh?)
He's beautiful.
And does carry a silent hero sort of air about him.



Pesta--our other girl.
She's cute and the smallest one.  She's so beautiful I'm also surprised she wasn't adopted.


So, there you have it folks.
The newest residents at The Way Home Rescue.
Cats.
Please adopt some...did I say that yet?
Please :)
They are all 1-2yrs of age except Pattches is 5yrs old.
All young and healthy and ready to love you forever!!


I've also had a shelter about an hour away contact me, desperately asking us to take some/any dogs as they are a kill shelter and full--putting dogs down for space.
And the shelter in the city I work is maxed out with kittens and needing foster homes until they can be adopted.  I did sign us up for that....the girls LOVE kittens and since we rarely ever get babies here and...since they only stay a short time..I thought we might manage.
But...with 8 dogs and after this week over a dozen cats, chickens, horses and 3 little girls...we are getting a bit maxed out....
So is the life of rescue.

Please help if you can adopt...if you live locally and can foster I can get you some information.

No comments:

Post a Comment